In 2012, the United Nations Foundation introduced #GivingTuesday, a global day to engender and celebrate generosity. #GivingTuesday is observed world-wide, supported by business, political, and social leaders, who jointly champion fund-raising for community development.
The Presidents and Heads of Government of many nations have become patrons of this philanthropic movement, a universally recognized way for patriotic citizens to contribute to the developmental efforts of government.
THE GRAND PATRON AND NATIONAL PATRON OF #GIVINGTUESDAY IN NIGERIA
The Grand Patron of #GivingTuesday in Nigeria (#GivingTuesdayNg) is His Excellency, President Mohammadu Buhari, GCFR; President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The National Patron is His Excellency, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, GCON; Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
ANCHOR: Dr Christopher Kolade, CON
THE FACES OF PHILANTHROPY IN NIGERIA
The Face of Philanthropy is a special honour for philanthropy, conferred annually.
The ‘Face of Philanthropy’ is a man or woman who is investing his or her resources to create positive change and make life better for the masses, through the practice of massive, exceptional and far-reaching philanthropy, particularly at the grassroots.
A person honoured as a ‘Face of Philanthropy’ would be entitled to the use of the post-nominal letters ‘PhiN’ which stands for ‘Philanthrope Nationale’ (French for ‘National Philanthropist’).
To mark #GivingTuesday each year, CECP shall issue a special publication titled ‘Philanthropy in Nigeria’ which would contain the profile of the Faces of Philanthropy in Nigeria.
The final list of honorees will be unveiled at a Presidential event which would be broadcast live by the Broadcasting Organizations of Nigeria (BON).
THE BENEFITS TO THE NATION
- Encouragement: By celebrating them, Nigerians who practice life-changing philanthropy would be motivated to do more
- Challenge: The initiative would challenge and inspire potential and future philanthropists
- Documentation: The book ‘Philanthropy in Nigeria’ would provide a one-stop documentation of philanthropy/corporate social investment (CSI) as practiced in Nigeria and/or by Nigerians
- National Image: The initiative will make a positive impact on the image of Nigeria in the comity of nations
Nominate the number one philanthropist in your Local Government Area of origin or domicile, for this honour, by sending the following information about your nominee to email@example.com or by sms only to 08095553555.
– Name of your nominee
– Home town and Local Government Area of your nominee
– Direct GSM Number of your nominee
– Contact Address of your nominee
– The THREE major Philanthropic achievements of your nominee
YOU SHOULD CONCLUDE THE NOMINATION BY STATING YOUR NAME AND GSM NUMBER.
NYSC YOUTH CORP MEMBERS SHOULD ALSO STATE THEIR PLACE OF PRIMARY ASSIGNMENT, CALL UP NUMBER AND STATE CODE NUMBER
1. Each participant is entitled to only one nominee
2. Participants cannot nominate themselves
3. Nomination closes at 12 noon on February 29, 2016.